While the past few days have been fairly quiet on the baby front, we did make our first real purchase for her and we also selected our 2015 Christmas ornament!
Friday through Sunday our family was in Austin so Matt could lead a weekend training session for his soldiers. We had a great time and I believe the soldiers learned some things while being treated to some time away from post.
Most notable for our family, though, were two major purchases. One was a diaper bag!
Over the past couple of weeks I have spent considerable time (I’d be embarrassed to reveal the actual amount of time) fiddling with each bag at multiple stores only to pretty much give up. And then on Friday Matt and I went to baby mecca: Babies R Us! They had the bag I was most interested in and in an even prettier print! After another good chunk of time, my husband convinced me to buy it.
I love it (but I still have the tags on it just in case…).
Also on our shopping list last weekend was a special 2015 Christmas ornament for our tree. Each year we pick one that represents the most important thing that happened over the past year. I’ve blurred out her middle name because we haven’t revealed that, just yet. 🙂
When thinking about what kind of ornament to buy we thought long and hard about 2015. Honestly, we can hardly see anything that happened before November 4th. It was a good year. A great year, even. We enjoyed and the year have nothing negative to say about it. But it changed for us in a major way on November 4th and that is what our hearts are focused on. Bring on Baby Anna!
Hayden has been trying to get us to buy Anna a pair of shoes for the past month and we just can’t spend that much on shoes! (Hayden has very expensive taste in shoes.) When we found these for $6 I finally caved. CUTE!
When we got home from Austin, Matt and I finalized the nursery. Matt converted the toddler bed back into a crib and I washed the sheets and added the dust ruffle, which I had to order.
Our Fundraiser is still going strong. A few facts:
- We are at 85% of what we had hoped to raise;
- The fundraiser has 51 days left to run;
- I leave here in 27 days to try to beat Anna’s arrival (unless I can’t handle it and decide to drive earlier and crash at friends’ houses because the wait is getting to me);
- Anna is due exactly one month from today;
- Our fundraiser has been shared 685 times (and it’s been stuck at that for over a week);
- We have had multiple gifts under $5. Two gifts over $2,000. And just about everything in between and we are so honored… so very honored, and we truly want to do the best we can with those gifts. Every dollar has been spent directly on the actual fees and what we have left over ($2,170.07 at this moment) is set aside for the Interstate Compact, which costs $2,500 (as you know by now because I say it all the time because it absolutely blows my mind that a single document can cost that much… especially when that document is basically a duplicate of a Home Study that both Texas and Virginia have to approve).
Click here to see our Fundraiser and to see if it’s received any more shares… and while you’re there, share it for us!
(And it just crossed my mind that I updated my Facebook page and our YouCaring page that we had a few days of wondering if baby was going to be arriving early, and I never updated you: my journal and my WordPress friends. I’ll copy and paste the update here.)
I am very happy to announce that at this moment I am NOT rushing to the airport to head to meet baby early.
The past 36 hours have had me a little on edge:
Our birth mother was exposed to a confirmed case of Fifths Disease and the ER doctor told her she needed to be tested ASAP. If baby were showing signs of danger, mama would be induced.
I had a few flights picked out and my heart all ready in case the call came that it was “time.”
Mama saw the OB today and was tested, and has been told that as of right now, all is well. So, I think it’s now time to get my bags packed and a few details tightened up. It was going to be a “throw everything in a carry-on” kind of trip and I’m really glad that we are on a stand-down and that I can get my bags packed a little more carefully.
One month from today (if all goes according to plan) the boys and I will be arriving in Charlotte to spend the night with family on our last stop along the way to our final destination. (The kids and I are driving… Matt will fly to meet us there and then ride home with us.)
Can you believe a last-minute flight from here to there is over $600! So thankful for the generosity of fundraisers so that had this been necessary, we had some set aside. That money is being saved for the $2500 Interstate Compact Agreement, which we don’t have completely covered by gifts, but we could have made the flight happen. So, thank you!
I’ve said this before: if anyone wants a breakdown of where the funds have gone thus far and what we have remaining, feel free to email me. 🙂 I feel like you deserve transparency!