Day 3 of 2 Pack Out Days.

If you read the title and thought I made a mistake, you would be wrong!  Today actually is day three of our pack-out dates but the movers finished yesterday, leaving us with a free day.  The last time I relaxed this much was while we were in Venice, trapped inside by Acqua Alta.  Oh… Venice…

Last night I missed my last Chaplain’s Spouses’ Coffee because our movers finished up a little later than I expected.  I had to go get Parker from the Joneses house so we went as a family in order to spend some time visiting with them.  May as well get as much time in as possible before the inevitable…

We picked up doners on the way and the man running the place was fantastic.  He offered us Turkish tea, which Matt accepted.  Three tablespoons of sugar later and it was drinkable!  We chatted with the guy for a while as he taught us new words and asked us what we call certain things.  He told us that in Turkey, no one wants the garlic sauce that we “Germans” love so much.  (I’m fairly certain he knew we weren’t German, but being in Germany, he serves the garlic sauce to his widest customer base, which would not be Americans.)  He taught me how to say “Thank you” in Turkish but I’ve totally forgotten the word… basically, “Go with luck” and you say it twice.  As we chatted we spoke some English, some German, some Turkish, and even a little Italian.  So strange, my life is.  I’m going to miss this so much.

And the food was delish!

Parker had had a great time playing with Kayla but was fairly tired after having only a one-hour nap, so we didn’t stay long.  We stopped by Christy’s house to pick up a few things she is loaning us to make our time in a bare house a little more cozy and fun.  In addition to a few games, blankets, and other odds and ends, she had made a meal for me to put in the freezer, giving me one more night I don’t have to think about food.  Amazing people I have in my life… I am blessed.

We got home and everyone got settled into their loaner beds very quickly.  Parker fussed a little, which I find him doing more frequently now that he can’t suck his thumb.  (In case you missed it, I wrote about this new development in “Habit Breaking” referencing a cut he got on his finger while we were in Venice.  I put a bandage on it that night and he hasn’t let me remove it.  Of course, I put a clean one on every few days but he freaks out and cries until the new on is on.  This sounds horribly mean, but I figure if we can leave a bandage on long enough for him to break his habit and learn to sooth himself without sucking his thumb, I’ll deal with the trauma of not wearing a bandage later.  And for the record, the thumb looks just fine even having been covered for a couple of weeks now.  It’s not shriveling up and wasting away.)

But back to last night… we all got great sleep… until about 1:30 am.  Parker woke up and started fussing, and I figured he’d fall back asleep.  I set a timer on my phone to go off a few minutes later and turned the monitor off.  When my alarm rang, I turned the monitor back on and he was still crying.  I went to check on him and as soon as I opened the door I could tell he had gotten sick.  I’m SO glad I had heard him crying and not slept through it (one of my mommy-fears).

Parker stayed on my lap for several hours during the night and again for four hours this morning before he started feeling better.

He was sick off and on for the next few hours, until finally falling asleep during our second viewing of Cars2.  We both got four good hours of sleep before the family woke up at 8:30.  He was sick a few more times this morning and around noon ate half of an apple, which gave him energy and I saw my Parker return.  He went down for his nap very well and is still sleeping away.  I do pray that his sickness has passed and that no one else in our family, or the Jones family, gets it, and am beyond thankful that it didn’t hit us while our movers were still here.

About Jennifer

"Yes, they're all mine." The answer to the question I hear most often.
This entry was posted in family, friends, parker. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Day 3 of 2 Pack Out Days.

  1. Pingback: Pneumonia. Seriously?!? | thehamricks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s